Thursday, March 20, 2014

The State of Life

Life always seems to come at us at a million miles a minute. This has pretty much been true ever since S and I got married 3.5 years ago. I did a double-take recently when I realized just how soon we're going to be packing up all of our belongings and moving to the Big City. We're basically down to 2 months. That's only ~60 days. Eeks!!

To what I'm sure will be a huge shock to my college roommate who watched me frantically pull an all-nighter the night before my parents came to pick me up every single year of college, I am actually starting to pack now. Crazy... I know. But the idea of trying to pack our entire place in a day or even several days with little kids who seem to keep me busy for every single one of their waking minutes?? Yeah, that would be even crazier :) So, here we go! I've started (mostly) on the books and boy, the boxes are multiplying!

In other news, things are starting to come together. We turned in A's preschool acceptance and a hefty check a couple weeks ago and we just heard back from T's daycare that they're holding a spot for him. The hospital housing people are pretty sure they're going to be able to accommodate us (and even our "move in early" request) since we're asking for a "larger" apartment... which is just another reminder that we're a bit of an anomaly. See, most people who are at my med school and even residents & fellows at this particular institution tend not to have kids hence they only need a studio or 1BR.

We're asking for a 3BR despite the cost because quite honestly, we're feeling very very cramped in our current situation. We've spent these last 3.5 years living in less than 700 square feet even as our family has doubled in size. Don't get me wrong... we're grateful for each of those square feet and I know there are others who manage to live in even tighter squeezes, but I think with T's addition (and impending mobility), we feel like we just need some more breathing space so that the kids have a place to play and so that we have a place to set up a dedicated "study/work" area without all being on top of each other. I have ideas about cozy reading corners and am also hoping to set things up so that A (and eventually T) have space to really set up the train tracks and also a dedicated area for a kid-sized table for them. Anyhow, we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment